Thursday, February 9, 2012

This could be paradise... ( more to come shortly) - Lack of sleep and internet. Inconvience regretted.


I haven't written in a couple days and I feel terrible. Also, I want to add that many of my counterparts may have a different approach on blogging, but this is how I plan to do mine. I want everyone who follows my blog to understand that I will be writing what I am doing as well expressing my feelings. This may not be the most intellectual blog, but I want to share this experience with anyone who takes the time to read it. With that being said… There is so much I need to say and so much I want to share with you all. First, Landing into Paro, January 23rd, with the Himalayas in plain view gave me the most amazing feelings. I had tears rolling down my face and I couldn't stop them, it was a feeling of” I can't believe after 18 hours of flight” and I AM BLESSED to be here and see this magnificent sight. As I walked into the airport it all came rushing over me. I am finally here after months of talking about it and enduring many avenues of fundraising. As I walked through customs I was greeted by the two people that I would be spending most of time with before my posting in Kanglung Primary School.  Meena and Karma, who are the individuals who I now look up to as mentors and Bhutanese Professional Logistics managers.  The two of them would eventually deliver me  to posting in a few weeks after orientation. Possibly some of the understanding individuals I have had the pleasure to meet thus far. We took a 20 minute drive to our first hotel in Paro, which is about an hour drive from the capital, Thimphu. As we drove through this first town I don't think I blinked once. I didn’t want to miss anything. My first impression of Paro, Bhutan was a very mixed view. In a country that prides themselves on preserving the land and its greenery, there was garbage everywhere. The streams were dirty and filled with old trash. The children were running around some in traditional dress and MANY in American Hipster dress. The landscape was unbelievable though. The mountains surrounding you like nothing I can compare it to. As we drove on the narrowest road I had ever been on, my colleagues and I continued to talk about the unexpected adventures and how blessed we all were to be here. Arriving at our hotel the staff was more than welcoming. There were female girls around the age of 15 or 16. They were very timid, but very helpful. I settled in with a girl named Iman, who is a yoga queen. Little did I know that we would be rooming together for the next 15 days (by choice) we compliment each other very well and she is someone I can truly relate to. The first night I was truly missing my life back home. Getting used to not drinking the water, the most spicy and delicious food, and being with people that were strangers at the moment. I cried a lot that night, probably because of jet leg. However, looking back on that moment I want to laugh at myself because now I feel so very grateful to be here and as you continue to read you will find out why.

                The second day I woke up feeling rested and more like my happy go lucky self. Even though I am in the middle of these beautiful mountains the weather was quite nice. After a delicious breakfast of toast, omelet, and fruit a couple of us decided to go and explore what Paro had to offer. As we walked in this foreign area, taking roads that lead to small shops and schools, we stumbled upon the most beautiful hotel. It was like a mini castle in the middle of nowhere.  It was a sight to see in a town that people have made roofs out of tin and  are held down by stones.  Of course walked into the hotel without warning and began to explore. Little did we know we would find a secret garden inside these castle walls. It was incredible the views around us, so I decided to sit, think, and take it all in.         

                Soon after, the rest of our group members began to arrive. The last 3 arrivals were girls Canada and the United States. They are also wonderful individuals. Everyone here has their own special qualities, which is why we were all chosen.

                That day we left for Thimphu in our tourist bus, which would eventually become our means of travel for the next 5 days. They piled our bags on top of the van like a puzzle and I was sure mine was going to be the one fall off the top …with a 1hour and ½  drive ahead of us . The drive itself was the most beautiful and frightening drive I had ever been on. We saw rice fields of beauty, ruins of old buildings, and construction of new buildings, Prayer flags stretched across the many mountains. I don’t know how they managed that one (which I later heard that the Bhutanese threw them and the wind carried them) so mystical.  This sight looked like an impossible feat. As we drove on we saw tin roofed bus stops in the middle of what seemed like nowhere, small villages, markets and beautiful Bhutanese people. After many laughs on the bus with such quotes as “inconvenience regretted” and sharing stories from home…we finally arrived in Thimphu, the wonderful beautiful capital of Bhutan.  A very busy and happening place compared to Paro. The streets were filled with people and dogs. I have no other thoughts at this moment to think of how to describe it and I will re- write that part when I get a chance and a proper thought. I loved it here the moment I set foot here. It immediately reminded me of downtown Quito, Ecuador. Even the smell of exhaust and the people were strong reminder of what I missed in Ecuador. As we arrived at the Dragon Roots hotel we were treated from what I felt like was royalty. We were given our keys to the most beautiful rooms and I would soon to find out of the most the helpful and polite staff at a hotel that ever exisited. As I settled into my room with Iman again, it really hit me as we were about to embark on the most amazing adventure in small country.

                The following days were filled with meeting different people from all walks of life and royalty. I was so honored to meet Minister of Education, Lyonpo Thakur S Powdyel who is one of the most well-regarded figures in the Bhutanese education system,  not only because he is the education minister, but because he is remembered by many of the Bhutanese as an exceptionally inspirational teacher, mentor and critic. He is by far one of the most influential people in Bhutan. He is very welcoming and made each and every one of us feel welcome here. He spoke of what Gross National Happiness meant to him and his country, he spoke of what the face of education is in Bhutan, and he spoke of how much he appreciated our duties to improve the Bhutanese education system. This was by far the most moving speaker I had ever heard. Sitting in MOE headquarters I had to hold back my tears and realize right there the impact I am making on this country, by just having a love for education and teaching. Right then in there; half way across the world I had the revelation of why I love being an educator and the impact it can make on an entire country. Just amazing. I left there feeling a sense of pride and I hadn’t even begun to start teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley, my name's Natalie and I worked at the high school in Kanglung last year. I spent two years in Bhutan. I'd love to keep in touch with you and hope I can be helpful maybe in terms of pointing you towards some local helpful people? My fiancé is there and he's been given instructions to help you with whatever you need. :) Find me on Facebook or email me at njbann@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete