Sunday, July 15, 2012

My love for my Bhutanese students

"G-g-g- Morning Madam!" "G-g-g Afternoon Madam!" G-g Evening Madam!" Are now all  familiar quotes I hear on daily basis. I feel my days would be incomplete without a student rushing to greet me or stumbling upon me in a shop to only say what so naturally rolls of their tongue. What's more interesting is that sometimes they are in such a rush to bow and greet you that they use the wrong greeting in the complete opposite time of the day. We both laugh, not for embarrassment, but for pure humor and I graciously correct them, smile and walk on my merry way.

The students here are some of the best people I have ever met. How can I say that about a group of individuals who's ages range from 11-16? I have no idea, but all I know is that I will NEVER forget these youngsters and they have made a permanent imprint on my heart. Read small excerpts below to fully understand the impact children AND students can make on your life...

Singye Dema (Left)


Each morning I write on the chalkboard: H.E.R.O ( Have Everything Ready and Organized ), I write Good Morning, and below that: new spelling words, what we will do for the day, news that we should know about (Vitamin D distribution), AND a journal. The students love the journal and everyday each of them in their semi- broken English courageously gets up in front of the class and reads their journals. Sometimes they choose the topic for the day's entry and the subject matter can be a little touchy... Chosen by student Singye Dema May 18th, 2012. Journal: If you could go to America and be adopted by Madam Ashley for 6 years, would you go why or why not? (4 sentences). Well, as it turns out many of my students think of me as their parent already! As I was listening to many of their responses and why they would go with me, it hit me. These students have involved me more in this country than I have let my own self to be. They wrote things like Madam is like our god, "she is teaches so well", I love her, she is my best teacher, and much more. I sat there listening and almost got a little teary-eyed. That day at school I walked around with a little more pride and less frustration. I was beginning to see that even if I think its a rough day of 8 periods and seeing 150 students, who may or may not be comprehending...they love having me here not just as a teacher that may NOT be successful everyday, but as family member. P.S. Many of them still think I am going to adopt them and they already have their parent's approval! (I truly would if I could)

Not to mention in regards to the morning routine of what is to be written on the chalkboard...I have had my share of sick days because of my weak immune system ( feeling 100% nowadays), but when I was absent my homeroom class of 35 students would continue it for me. With that said, every morning a student would write everything identical to what I WOULD WRITE for the day and provide a journal for my students! When I would return I'd have "Get Well" cards waiting for me, as well students "showing-off" their journal entry that I had missed. Imitation, my friends, is the best form of flattery.

This is Chenning holding a photo of his god and  he of course has  my bag!
Each morning I hear a soft knock on my door. "It's me Madam!" Chenning Dorji my homeroom, "Key Holder in-charge" is at my house at 7:30 AM, Monday through Saturday to carry my backpack and walk me to school. He is the oldest student in my class six, at age 15 and walks the furthest to school (7KM!!) He was born to a family of farmer's, a product of divorce, goes to school all day and works and babysits all night, only to be at MY house every morning with a smile and a story from his last night's events. It has taken a lot for Chenning to become the student he has become over the last 6 months because he is expected to be a farmer and school is not a priority. I have successfully helped him to become more confident in his studies, ambitious, and instead of sleeping in class...HE PARTICIPATES!! Moments like that...will keep a teacher's heart full.


These are my picnic goers!
PICNICS. If you have ever lived in a remote location where T.V., computers, video games cannot consume your mind all day the only thing left to do is GO OUTSIDE!! Being born in rural Illinois and having to be told a million times ,"Go OUTSIDE" , I was quite used to the notion of going on picnics or outdoorsy time. No, this is not your typical picnic at the park! These students pick me up at 7:30 AM on a Sunday (my only day off) and we walk 7-10 KM to find the best picnic area. I literally live on the side of the mountain so sometimes flat areas are difficult to find. Well, when we find the best area my students are hard at work! My first time I was expecting a nice rest after we walked 10 KMs , but NOO they are chopping trees, building fires, washing vegetables, chopping vegetables, fetching water, and all I could do was watch them like worker bees , buzzing around with smiles and so happy we are on a picnic. It was hot that day and we are in an open prairie, but no worries my students chopped down large branches and stuck them in the ground so I would not be hot! That day I ate more chilies, more rice, and more ferns than I ever have in my life! These 12 year old girls not only cooked for us , they cooked for the boy's football team ( Kanglung upper market side, of course.) After being woke up at 6AM, cranky, and wanting to spend my ONLY day off alone... these girls and I had more fun than we had anticipated. Fire cooked lunch, Red Rover, Action Photos, "Girl-talk", and dancing...No regrets to a Sunday that could have been used for rest.

"Happy Journey, Madam!" is what I heard before I left for the BCF retreat in Bumthang over Summer Break. I was leaving my students for 2 1/2 short weeks and the letters, well wishes, and thank-yous came pouring into my house like a small flood. My students had written me countless letters and had drawn me so many pictures! I couldn't believe it. While on my trip my students also phoned me countless times asking me where I was, what I was doing, saying they missed school, and were already planning picnic outings for when I would return. To some those phone calls would be a lack of privacy and inappropriate, but for me it was a sense of comfort that has hit me very few times in this under developed country: HOME.



2 comments:

  1. Ashley this is my favorite post. I'm so glad that I got to visit you even if it was a short visit because I can easily picture you in your HOME with your beloved students surrounded by all those pictures/letters. You inspire me to take more time to get to know my students better. You are truly a special person in their lives and you are spreading sunshine all over Bhutan. I hope that you stay another year. NO PRESSURE THOUGH LOL. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete