Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Teacher's Day in Bhutan...host? Yours truly.


From my class 6  students for Teacher's Day in Bhutan
After many deliberations and plenty of silence from all 22 of my colleagues, I volunteered to host Teacher's Day at Kanglung Primary School. Yes, I have only been here for 4 1/2 months and I had no idea what I was doing...I was up for the challenge. Teacher's Day celebrated on May 2, which coincides with the birth anniversary of the third Druk Gyalpo, is observed as Teacher’s Day in Bhutan. It is a day when students pay their tribute to teachers. I had no idea the magnitude of what I was getting into until I had groups of students begging me perform songs, recite speeches, and even perform dances as well. I had a whole itinerary set up for the event and let me say as they say in Bhutan,"Nothing ever goes as planned." So there I was 5 holidays due to Youngpfula Tscheu and no one to answer my many questions about what to plan, what to include, and how the day should go. I was on my own and panicking to say the least. Thank goodness for my colleagues Rika Tanteno and Sir Phutsho who I think I have mentioned before. Rika, the JICA volunteer had included many events through her Japanese club and Sir Phuntsho had decided to be the decorator and artist for the event. They both helped me out to make this Teacher's day at KPS a huge success. They say hard work pays off and by the end of the day, I couldn't have been more satisfied with the outcome. Although, I missed 5 amazing vacation days and a trip west, I have no regrets...what a memory and a day I will never forget.


My Best here in Kanglung, the JICA volunteer Rika Tanteno receiving her scarf

Dancing Bhutanese style

One amazingly humorous co-worker and the person who contributed the most in helping me during Teacher's Day

The host of Teacher's Day at KPS

Scarves of well wishes and a happy life given to the teachers.

Traditional dances Bhutanese Style...not rehearsed.

One of the many dances performed for the teaching staff



My principal serenading KPS




No comments:

Post a Comment